After many months of our humble guild following me as I blindly stumbled through a leadership role, Stacey triumphantly returned home and took her rightful place as our leader. Her first order of business was asking me to take the meeting notes for the blog. Thanks for having faith in me and welcome back:)
- Sew, let’s get into it! First up – QUILTCON!! I know myself and many of you got up early Thursday morning to register (or get put on a wait list) for classes and lecture passes. According to their site, QuiltCon has workshops and lecture passes left. Our guild is one of the many sponsoring guilds so contact me, Lauren, (email@example.com) for our guild’s discount code.
- Our guild’s sew days at the North Berkeley library will be continuing through the fall. We will not have a sew day in September but we will have on Oct 20 and Nov 17 from 2 PM – 5 PM Join us for a few hours of sewing, laughing, and an all around good time:)
- If you haven’t heard, our guild has a Google group that you can join to find out all the cool stuff happening between meetings. This is a more intimate setting for conversations than our Facebook page. We also have a bay area modern guild calendar to find out all the modern quilt/other quilt happening in the area (everything from cool shows to cool classes). Please contact Stacey (firstname.lastname@example.org) for details.
East Bay Heritage Quilters (EBHQ) are having a Modern Quilting Meetup the second Thursday of the month, 6:30-9Pm. The dates are September 13, October 11, November 8, and December 13. The meetup will be held at Albany Methodist Church, 980 Stannage Ave. Albany (at Marin Ave). It will be an evening of quilting inspiration, tricks, tips and creative fun. Work spaces will be available. A light supper will also be provided by EBHQ members. Bring a quilt to Show & Tell – $5 at the door or EBHQ members free. BRING A FRIEND!
- Allison is still working on a workshop with Sherri Lynn Wood (who has three SOLD OUT workshops at QuiltCon). Please let her Allsion know (via the Google group or Facebook) if you are interested. The workshop will be in October for a great price!! Stay tuned for details on date, time, and location.
- If you’re in the Bay area, C&T Publishing is having its Annual Warehouse Sale on Saturday, September 8th. There will be books and products from C&T & Stash Books for quilt making, fiber arts, needle arts, mixed-media and paper crafts, as well as magazines and fabric, for sale priced from $2 to $5 (original retail prices are up to $29.95!). They open for resellers with valid resale license from 9:00am – 11:00 am and to the general public from 11:00- 3:00. The address is 1651 Challenge Drive, Concord, California.
- C/T publishing is currently accepting submissions for a “Celebrating Amish Quilts” book. The deadline is September 30. All types of quilts are welcome as long as they are traditional Amish or Amish inspired.
- San Jose Museum of Quilts and Textiles is accepting submissions for their Fiber Shots benefit. The special exhibit features quilts 15×15 and will sell for $100. The proceeds go to benefit the Museum.
- Our own Claudia, will be one of the fabric artists who will be part of a traveling show “Women Who Broke the Rules”. Her quilt honors Rachel Carson who write the ground breaking book Silent Spring. Claudia’s double sided quilt will be with 20 other 18″ x 24″ pieces honoring women from all walks of life. Congrats to Claudia and her amazing piece!!!
- Another of our members Claire Sherman, won an essay contest in the August/September 2012 issue of Quilter’s Newsletter. The subject was “Why I love my quilt guild” Sadly, it wasn’t about us, but the essay is worth reading and all the submissions remind us how important reaching out to the quilting community can be.
I feel like I am forgetting something…I guess that is what the comment section is for;)